Even in 1999 after 40 years without any care the church in Stavenow was still more a ruin which was to be torn down due to its dilapidated condition. However, the responsible authorities for the protection of historic buildings and monuments, the mayor's office, the parish council and the recently established new "association for the preservation of historic Stavenow" were able to avoid the worst. The local museum of Perleberg had kindly put in safe-keeping the set of arms which decorated its portal as well as its altar-piece. Even one of the church windows (it's a must to look at it!) could be recovered.
Manufactured in 1906 by a painter in Quedlinburg, it represents - though it is damaged at several spots - an enormous non-materialistic value for the people in Stavenow. The mayor's office is presently looking for a safe location where it can be shown to the public.